Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Mama 'nose' best when it comes to piercing (November 3, 2009)

(I had to show this because I love the photoshopped arrow.  I need to get photoshop, that would be fun)


I got my nose pierced this year. No, it’s not a desire to look ‘cool’. I drive a minivan for pete’s sake, I’m over trying to look cool. It’s more of an outward sign of rejecting the neat little box of ‘what I should be’ and trying to express my authentic self. (What’s next—a tattoo!?)

It took a long time to come to this, this idea of me getting a nose piercing. The question of ‘am I too old’ of course surfaced. So, abandoning for a moment my not-caring-what-anyone-else-thinks attitude, I did what any reasonable human being with internet access would do. I googled ‘am I too old for a nose piercing?’ The answer was a resounding ‘no—if you’re still alive, it’s not too late’. I was heartened to read stories of women who were also in their 30’s, as well as women in their 40’s and even 50’s who have gotten one and love it. So that sealed it. I went to Metamorphosis in Broad Ripple (excellent) and after one somewhat-painful-but-not-too-bad stick later had my silver little nose stud.

I love it. It suits me, and even though nose piercings aren’t exactly uncommon, they are somewhat taboo in society, especially if one isn’t a teen or in their early twenties. That’s partly why I like it, it is a visible reminder that I am striving to go my own way and listen to my authentic self, whether it’s a nose piercing or having my babies at home or painting with bright colors just because I love it. I hope to impart that to my children, the desire and the courage to go their own way too, whatever it is. They can do amazing and bold things when they do.

And now I need to get back to planning my armband tattoo.


Krista Bocko lives in Noblesville with her husband and four children. She questions pretty much everything and is on a journey to express her authentic self. She can be reached at kbocko@sbcglobal.net or via her blog at www.cachet-cachet.blogspot.com

1 comment: