Saturday, March 26, 2011

Celebrating the Spring Equinox by the light of the moon

Being the earthy hippie chick that I am, I follow the moon cycles. I learned recently that the Native Americans named the Full Moons of the year as a way to keep track of the seasons. We’re in the third full moon cycle of 2011 right now. January’s was Full Wolf Moon, February’s was Full Snow Moon and here we are, in the Full Worm Moon.

Sounds kind of funny, right? The description I have of it says, “as the temperature begins to warm and the ground begins to thaw, earthworm casts appear, heralding the return of the robins. The more northern tribes knew this Moon as the Full Crust Moon, because the snow cover becomes crusted from thawing by day and freezing at night. The Full Sap Moon, marking the time of tapping maple trees, is another variation.”

And Sunday the 20th marked the Spring Equinox. I happened to have one of my (I’m not a) dirty hippie parties that day, so we not only made something awesome and earth friendly (the ever popular body butter) and drank vodka cocktails, but we also celebrated the coming of Spring together.

My friends Joni and Michelle and I began celebrating the solstices and equinoxes together, which have all incidentally coincided with the full moon since we began this ritual last fall.

The Winter Solstice was a pretty big party and I took a picture of the full moon through the fir tree in Michelle’s yard, and before that for the Autumn Equinox we all lingered outside as the moon rose over us. So to have this Equinox coincide with the Full Moon again was pretty cosmic. I loved celebrating it and making something useful with my friends.

And through this week I think I’ll plant some more seeds for the garden I’m planning, as well as plant some ideas for things I want to bring into my life too. Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment