Monday, September 3, 2012

Stepping outside my comfort zone




At my recent high school reunion, I won the unofficial title of ‘coolest person in the class of ’92.’ It was unofficial because there wasn’t actually a title and there wasn’t actually a vote, but I have to admit I kind of basked in the glory of popularity in the eyes of my former classmates for a little bit.
            I wasn’t popular in high school. At all. I was shy, awkward, and afraid to step outside of my comfort zone. I didn’t want to be like that but I was, and my holding back wasn’t doing myself or the world any favors. I was determined to work on myself and to bring more of who I was deep down out into the world. I will always be introverted, yes, but now I am also able to speak up and share my worldview and not be afraid to let my passions show. And I realize that’s where the magic is.
            I don’t like to hear people say they ‘just want to be comfortable.’ I used to think this myself and it kept me from taking risks, pushing myself and achieving things I surprised even myself about.
I thought of all this a couple weeks ago as I danced in my studio’s performance showcase. I’m amazed at all the women I have met and become friends with who share the same passions and love of dance as I do. I never would have met them if I hadn’t pushed myself outside my comfort zone to go into the studio in the first place, and the same goes for them. It was intimidating to take the risk (what am I doing here?). It placed doubt in my mind (what if I fail?), and it was one of the best things I’ve ever done.
            All this to say, it’s worth a continual evaluation of your life to constantly see what you’re capable of, what your dreams are, and how you can take steps toward making those dreams reality—in essence becoming more of who you really are. The world needs you.

No comments:

Post a Comment