Monday, May 3, 2010

Local owners 'planting' a future for old schoolhouse

Kim Porter, owner of the lovely garden center known as Garden Thyme, is as vibrant and enthusiastic a gardener as you’ll ever meet. I love this place because I love plants, love to buy local, and love to help a good cause. Garden Thyme meets all three.


The two room brick schoolhouse was built in 1898 and used until 1930, when it basically became a storage building of farm equipment. When Kim and her husband purchased the property in 1898 a century after it was built, it was just a shell of its former self. There is no longer a floor, the side porches flanking the large arched window in front are long gone, as is the belfry and other elements. Kim uses the plant profits and returns them to the schoolhouse in the form of restoration.

Her latest project was to get the old roof replaced and the chimneys rebuilt, a project she’s so pleased about. The roof work was done by local roofer TJ Myers of MRC Roofing and his crew, while the brickwork was done by Scott Broady. “It took me eight years to save for the new roof. I would like to get new windows next, and then a floor. I envision teaching gardening classes in the school. I shop local when I can and try to support the little guy. It’s a joint effort and I couldn’t have done it without my customers. So thank you to all of you, and if you haven’t been here yet, stop by and say hello.”

Garden Thyme is located just east of Clarksville at 14520 SR 38 East. It’s open Tuesday-Saturday 10-6 and Sunday 11-4. See the website at http://www.pinkpeppercorn.com/ for photos and upcoming events (Chocolate Fest is Sat. June 5th from 10-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment