Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Historic Homes of Noblesville--1082 Maple Ave

Location: 1082 Maple Avenue


Owners: the Dawson family

Style & History: This home, built in 1909, is an American Foursquare, aptly named because of its shape and floor plan. This 2 story home has wide eaves, a hipped roof, and a wide front porch. The house, along with the home beside it, was built as a rental by Mary Craycraft, widow of Daniel Craycraft, who owned what is now known as the Victorian House and Carriage House, at 1095 Conner St.

What are your favorite features? “Even though I purchased during the winter, the garden is what sold me. The previous owners lovingly created a “cool old house” and preserved its character. It is not lost on me that this house has stood for over one hundred years, and I wonder what the walls have witnessed.”

What work have you done on your house? “I purchased this home in February of this year, so currently I’m just trying to make this house my own. I know little of gardening, so I am learning to maintain it.”

What do you like about this area/neighborhood? “It brings back memories of living in older homes with a front porch growing up. I can share with my children what was and is important to me: casual parties on the porch celebrating a birthday or quiet time on the porch swing. We’ve almost made an art of seeing how many places we can walk to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment