Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sometimes it’s the little things that mean the most

COMMENTARY
By Krista Bocko

I recently made a meal and took it to a family I know that needs a little extra love and care. It really wasn’t a big deal (though it sort of is to me, which I will get to), but sometimes the little things can really mean so much. After all, it was just one meal, but when I look back at times when I have felt most cared for, it’s when friends made and brought me food when I really needed it, like after having a baby.

In the grand scheme of things, this meal took just a little effort, but, being somewhat prone to kitchen mishaps, taking on the task of feeding another family in addition to my own (which is challenging enough!) is not something I really feel equipped to take on.

Why do I do it? Because meals have meant so much to me, I feel compelled to ‘pay it forward’ in the very same way. Food touches people deeply. It’s such a primal and fundamental need, and to have that need taken care of, even for just one meal, is such a blessing.

So, not letting on to this family that I don’t love to cook (though they read my columns so I guess the secret is out! I hope you liked your meal), I set to work and pulled it off with only minimal incident. I pulled up to their house at six p.m. that night with three dishes and they were so grateful.

I’m happy I could do that small gesture of caring for them. Most of us don’t realize what a difference we can make in the lives of others. I want to be more aware of opportunities I can take to show people that I care, and I hope you will, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment