Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Does she or doesn't she? She doesn't - no poo!

I’ve given up shampoo. Yep, I’ve gone hard-core hippie. It actually took me a couple of years from when I first learned about going what some call ‘no-poo’ to make the leap, but true to my I-must-question-everything nature, I did some reading about shampoo and conditioner and the reasons to not use them made a lot of sense.
Regular shampoos generally contain sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), which is not a soap but a detergent. As such, it strips the natural oils from hair. This is where conditioner comes in, to replace the oils that were stripped out.

Since the SLS detergents are harsh, the scalp works overtime to replace the natural oils and hair gets oily quickly, meaning, you guessed it, you feel like you need to wash your hair daily or it will drive you crazy. And it’s a vicious cycle.

Not for me, not any more! I finally tried not using shampoo. I basically use the following: Dr. Bronner’s liquid castile soap, which is very gentle and doesn’t strip oil, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. I love it a whole lot. I use a little bit of castile soap, lather it in and add some baking soda. (By the way, baking soda is a mild abrasive, and great for getting rid of product build-up.) Then I rinse that out and use about ¼ of a cup of vinegar diluted with warm water to equal a cup or so, work it into my hair, and rinse well.

That’s it! It works really well for me, and as a bonus, it’s another way to stick it to the Man. I don’t need their artificially scented shampoos and conditioners, thank you very much, and I save money and am treading more lightly on the earth by saying no, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment