Tuesday, August 31, 2010

'Hippie chicks' still mixing it up the natural way

   Cortney Horstman showed us how to cook with herbs

Six months ago I wrote about my foray into deodorant making with my friends at an inaugural ‘(I’m not a) dirty hippie party’, where we ate and drank and mixed ingredients like cocoa and shea butter and essential oils to create little jars of homemade deodorant (really works!). I’m happy to report that these parties have become a monthly event and we’re reclaiming a bit of DIY initiative and having a great time in the process.


Being the flighty, somewhat unfocused person that I am, I haven’t kept track of what all we’ve made, but we racked our brains and came up with this list: deodorant, laundry detergent, facial cleanser & moisturizer, shampoo, conditioner, sugar scrubs, and toothpaste. We even had a ‘Hippies cook with Herbs’ party in July, where my friend Cortney showed us, well, how to cook with herbs. So fun to get together and talk about compost and bring our herb and garden pickings!

We’ve had a ton of laughs, and these are some of the most awesome women that I know. We’ve all learned things too, one of which is this: do not mix baking soda and vinegar together unless you want the bubbling, overflowing volcano effect.

We plan to continue these monthly get-togethers, so to my friends reading this that aren’t on facebook (that’s how I do the invites), call me and get in the loop!

Here’s the Sugar Scrub recipe, which is so super easy and effective:

1 jar (baby food jars work well), 1 cup sugar, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, and essential oil (optional). Mix sugar and olive oil, add any scent(s) you like. Use as an exfoliator, and shake before use.

Wow, and I love that basic home/bath products don’t have to be bought from a store. Rock on, hippie chicks!

No comments:

Post a Comment